Danny 'Magoo' Chandler: 1959-2010

AMA Motorcycle Hall of Famer Danny 'Magoo' Chandler: 1959-2010 - From AMA Racing (http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/story.asp?id=1944)

From AMA's site, the sad news becomes a reality. Danny "Magoo" Chandler has passed away.

After a racing accident that left him paralyzed in 1985, Danny never seized his dedication to the sport, he was a spectator at every motocross race he could make it to. From Glen Helen to Budds Creek, he was still a huge part of the MX community and his passion for the sport never grew weak.

I had the pleasure of meeting Magoo at the 2007 Motocross of Nations in Maryland, he had a lot to share about life, his love for our sport and the importance of safety. I knew plenty about this man, my dad instilled stories in my memory of the legend Danny "Magoo" Chandler at Saddleback MX track (my father's home track back in the day). From the young to the wise, he was a legend to all in the motocross world and will truly be missed. Rest in peace, Magoo.

_
_

_
_

_AMA Motorcycle Hall of Famer, Motocross and Trophee des Nations team member and AMA Motocross National winner Danny "Magoo" Chandler (right) has died. He was 50.

Chandler was born in Sacramento, Calif., on Oct. 5, 1959, into a racing family. He started riding when he was 4 years old and first competed when he was 9.

Chandler earned his pro license in 1976 and his first factory ride in 1979, with Maico. His breakout year was 1981. Riding a privateer Suzuki, he finished ninth in the AMA 125cc National Motocross series. Then, on a Honda, he won the Trans-USA 500cc support series, which earned him a spot on the company's factory team for 1982.

Chandler won four AMA 500cc outdoor nationals over the next two seasons, riding for Honda. He finished third in the AMA 500cc MX series in 1983. He also earned the biggest victory of his career when he won the U.S. 500cc Motocross Grand Prix at Carlsbad, Calif., in 1982.

At the end of 1982, Chandler was part of the American team for the Trophies and Motocross des Nations. On the smooth and fast racing circuits of Gaildorf, Germany, and Wohlen, Switzerland, Chandler came through and won every moto in both events. Chandler became the only rider ever to win both motos of both events in the same year. Chandler returned to the U.S. as a hero in the eyes of motocross fans nationwide.

Chandler's hard-charging racing style won him legions of loyal fans at home and abroad. Chandler was known as one of the boldest riders of any era. He often attempted jumps on his motocross bikes that were previously considered impossible, endearing him to fans and often intimidating his competitors.

Chandler's racing career came to a premature end when he was left paralyzed after a crash at the Paris Supercross in December of 1985. Despite his disability, Chandler has become a positive influence on thousands of people by giving talks on his life story at schools, hospitals and other assemblies.

Read more about the life of Danny "Magoo" Chandler at the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame._

AMA Racing, AMA News, Danny Magoo, danny maggo, danny magoo chandler, danny chandler
danny magoo chandler, danny magoo, danny chandler