Seistola & Salminen dominate Enduro 1 class at EWC GP of Romania

Husqvarna CH Racing Monster Energy Team - Enduro World Championship 2011, Round 6 - BUZAU, ROMANIA, 9/10.7.2011 - News Release

Finnish duo lock-out the top step of the E1 class podium aboard their TE 250 machines while a double rostrum result ensures Antoine Meo maintains his E2 championship lead

With winning performances from both Matti Seistola and Juha Salminen in the Enduro 1 class, and double podium results from both Enduro 2 championship leader Antoine Meo and Enduro 3 class racer Seb Guillaume, the sixth round of the '11 Enduro World Championship was certainly a good one for the Husqvarna CH Racing Monster Energy Team. The first ever running of an EWC event in Romania, two days of close racing and sky-high temperatures ended with seven podium finishes for the team but more importantly with Juha Salminen and Antoine Meo maintaining their advantages in the Enduro 1 and Enduro 2 classes respectively.

While it's Salminen who leads the E1 title fight with two rounds remaining it was his team-mate and countryman Matti Seistola who claimed E1 class victory on day one, coming out on top of the Husqvarna one-two some 10 seconds up on Salminen. Getting off to a winning start while Salminen struggled to find his rhythm during the opening two special tests, Matti held his advantage throughout the day never placing lower than third in class on any of the day's eight special tests. While things very much went Matti's way on day one, day two saw the Finn only just manage to place inside the top 10 as a heavy fall and many smaller mistakes denied him of a second podium result. Making no mistakes Juha fought off countryman Eero Remes to claim a well-deserved win, remaining firm at the top of the E2 championship standings.

Juha Salminen - Enduro 1: 'I lost everything in the first two tests on day one. I don't know why but I didn't feel 100 per cent and I paid the price. The day just didn't start well but as soon as the first lap was over things started to improve. I lost the day by nine seconds, which is the time I lost on the first two tests. But I got second to Matti so for Husqvarna that was great, and for my championship it wasn't bad at all. Day two wasn't so much different to the first just without the mistakes I made early on day one. I have to say that I really enjoyed the race, the track was a little too long but apart from that it was good.'

Matti Seistola - Enduro 1: 'It's been a mixed weekend for me, some good, some not so good. The first day was great. I really felt good and didn't make any mistakes at all. I wasn't super fast but I was consistent, which is something I'm working on. I liked the tests and with my bike working perfectly it was a really enjoyable day. Normally the second day is better for me than the first, but not this weekend. I started the day making lots of small mistakes but then in the second motocross test I lost the use of my clutch. I got nervous then and crashed on one of the downhill double jumps. The bike landed on the throttle side, stuck on, and when I picked the bike up it launched itself forward again. I managed to finish the test but lost a lot of time. That was a small problem, the big problem was that I just wasn't riding well at all. It's disappointing after such a good first day, I guess it happens some times.'

With the '11 Enduro World Championship rapidly reaching its close maintaining his healthy Enduro 2 championship lead was the most important thing for Antoine Meo, which he did by claiming two podium results. Close to winning on both days - 15 and 16 respectively separated Antoine from victory on each of the two days - Antoine's lead at the top of the class remains 49 points with just two rounds remaining. On day one a heavy landing from a jump resulted in back pain, which made the rest of the day difficult. On day two a mistake on the enduro test saw Antoine drop into the runner-up position, the position he would hold until the end of the day. Antoine's Enduro 2 class team-mate Simone Albergoni produced two days of consistent racing finishing sixth both times out.

Antoine Meo - Enduro 2: 'It's been a tough weekend for me but with two podium results it's been a good one. On the first day I made a mistake on the first extreme test. I missed my breaking point and landed flat off a jump. I hurt my back and had some pain all day. I tried to push hard on the final lap to get second but Cristobal Guerrero was very fast. A podium result was good. I took some pain killers for the second day, which made things much better but I made a mistake on the enduro test. That put me into second place and after that I wasn't able to get back into the lead. Although I wasn't able to win two podium results is good for my championship lead.'

With team rider Alex Salvini competing in the prestigious Australian Four Day Enduro it was left to experienced Frenchman Seb Guillaume to fly the flag for the Husqvarna CH Racing Monster Energy Team in Romania. Ensuring he didn't let his team down Seb scored a superb double podium result, placing as runner-up in the stacked E3 class on day one and then third on day two.

Seb Guillaume - Enduro 3: 'The first day went really well, almost perfectly. I really felt like I was riding well, like myself. It's the first time for several GPs that I've felt like that. I felt strong until the end of the day and I didn't make any mistakes, which I was pleased with. Day two wasn't quite as good as the first day but I finished on the podium again. It was a harder day and I knew that beating Nambotin and Ahola was going to be hard. The most important thing was that I enjoyed the day and got two good podium results for the team.'

Enduro World Championship 2011

Grand Prix of Romania - Day one

Enduro 1
1. Matti Seistola (Husqvarna) 36:34.25;
2. Juha Salminen (Husqvarna) 36:44.23;
3. Eero Remes (KTM) 36:45.93;
4. Rodrig Thain (Honda) 37:02.89;
5. Julien Gauthier (Honda) 37:05.03

Enduro 2
1. Pela Renet (Husaberg) 36:26.28;
2. Cristobal Guerrero (KTM) 36:39.56;
3. Antoine Meo (Husqvarna) 36:41.03;
4. Ivan Cervantes (Gas Gas) 37:06.83;
5. Antoine Basset (Yamaha) 37:47.32...
6. Simone Albergoni (Husqvarna) 37:51.79

Enduro 3
1. Christophe Nambotin (Gas Gas) 36:39.33;
2. Seb Guillaume (Husqvarna) 36:49.89;
3. Kurt Caselli (KTM) 36:50.73;
4. Mika Ahola (Honda) 36:57.24;
5. Oriol Mena (Husaberg) 36:58.70

Enduro Junior
1. Mathias Bellino (Husaberg) 36:49.68;
2. Jeremy Joly (Honda) 37:11.00;
3. Romain Dumontier (Yamaha) 37:13.18;
4. Mario Roman (KTM) 37:13.51;
5. Victor Guerrero (Yamaha) 37:27.07...
8. Giacomo Redondi (Husqvarna) 38:06.71;
9. Roni Nikander (Husqvarna) 38:12.69

Enduro World Championship 2011

Grand Prix of Romania - Day two

Enduro 1
1. Juha Salminen (Husqvarna) 42:40.01;
2. Eero Remes (KTM) 42:45.58;
3. Rodrig Thain (Honda) 43:07.11;
4. Julien Gauthier (TM) 43:32.81;
5. Lorenzo Santolino (KTM) 43:47.34...
9. Matti Seistola (Husqvarna) 44:37.14

Enduro 2
1. Pela Renet (Husaberg) 42:15.81;
2. Antoine Meo (Husqvarna) 42:31.53;
3. Cristobal Guerrero (KTM) 43:00.87;
4. Ivan Cervantes (Gas Gas) 43:18.68;
5. Antoine Basset (Yamaha) 44:06.09...
6. Simone Albergoni (Husqvarna) 44:06.86

Enduro 3
1. Christophe Nambotin (Gas Gas) 42:22.46;
2. Mika Ahola (Honda) 42:50.82;
3. Seb Guillaume (Husqvarna) 43:19.76;
4. Kurt Caselli (KTM) 43:23.09;
5. Joakim Ljunggren (Husaberg) 43:28.06

Enduro Junior
1. Romain Dumontier (Yamaha) 43:15.70;
2. Mario Roman (KTM) 43:17.98;
3. Jeremy Joly (Honda) 43:20.43;
4. Mathias Bellino (Husaberg) 43:31.57;
5. Benoit Fortunato (Yamaha) 43:34.61...
8. Giacomo Redondi (Husqvarna) 44:21.38;
12. Roni Nikander (Husqvarna) 44:59.96

**2011 Enduro World Championship, series standings

Enduro 1
1. Juha Salminen (Husqvarna) 286;
2. Eero Remes (KTM) 240;
3. Matti Seistola (Husqvarna) 235;
4. Rodrig Thain (Honda) 207;
5. Lorenzo Santolino (KTM) 174

Enduro 2
1. Antoine Meo (Husqvarna) 274;
2. Cristobal Guerrero (KTM) 225;