Team Honda HRC has announced that Ken Roczen has decided to withdraw from racing the 2022 Monster Energy AMA Supercross series. The German rider won the opening round at Angel Stadium in Anaheim, California, on January 8, but has not finished on the podium since. The break comes as a result of health-related issues.
“The continued support of Honda is just second to none,” Roczen said. “I couldn’t be more appreciative of how we work together as partners and make these decisions together, even when they’re really difficult. I owe them a championship, and that’s my focus going forward.”
Related: 2022 Honda CRF450R Review
According to American Honda, the 27-year-old racer has dealt with the effects of the Epstein-Barr virus since recovering from season-ending injuries in 2017 and 2018. More recently, he came down with an illness at the end of last year, then contracted COVID-19 just after round 3 at Petco Park in San Diego, California, on January 22. Roczen’s departure from this year’s indoor series is for an indefinite amount of time. While away from racing, he will seek professional treatment from specialists he has worked with in the past, including some in Europe.
“I’m sorry to see Ken in this situation,” Brandon Wilson, manager of sports and experiential at American Honda, said. “He proved at Anaheim 1 that he still has the speed to run with anyone, but the strains of this sport are such that expecting to compete at a disadvantage isn’t realistic. Ken has so much heart and wants to be out there, but that’s not in the best interests of anyone involved with things as they are. Health comes first, and we know that time off has helped him in the past. Ken is a part of the Honda family, and I’m happy he is taking steps to improve his situation. Everyone here is behind him as he works to return to the level where we all know he deserves to be.”