Yoshimura-Backed Teams Grab Another Win & A Handful of Solid Top-Ten Finishes

_Yoshimura News Release
_

CHINO, CA (February 7, 2012) - Yoshimura-backed teams scored another win and several top-ten finishes at the fifth round of the 2012 AMA/FIM Supercross Championship Series in Anaheim, CA on Saturday. The Honda Racing teams, Rockstar Energy Racing Suzuki and Yoshimura Suzuki teams put their Yoshimura products to work in order to dominate Angel Stadium.

For the third week in a row Yoshimura-backed GEICO Honda's Eli Tomac dominated the Lites class and will go into San Diego with a 22-point lead. Tomac nabbed the holeshot in the Lites main event but was quickly passed by Cole Seely, who eventually went down on lap three. Tomac quickly capitalized on the mistake, taking the lead and running away with it.

"The day started off a little slow with practice. I wasn't exactly where I wanted to be so that gave me a little fire going into the heat race," said Tomac. "Going into the next round it is definitely nice having those 22 points as a cushion. I am going to try and keep getting good starts and try not to make any mistakes throughout the rest of the rounds. I am looking forward to San Diego since it is where I got my first Supercross win and is the home to my favorite football team."

In the 450 class, Yoshimura-backed GEICO Honda rider Kevin Windham showed impressive speed aboard his Yoshimura-equipped CRF450R with a fifth-place overall qualifying time in practice. He also put together a solid main by scoring a solid sixth-place finish.

After struggling the last few weeks to get the finishes he desires, Yoshimura-backed Team Honda Muscle Milk's Justin Brayton was able to put together a very noteworthy ride at Anaheim Two. Brayton set the tone for the day during qualifying by laying down the fastest lap time, giving him first gate pick heading into the heat races. In his heat race Brayton got a good start, making his way to the front of the pack. He led throughout the majority of the race but was eventually passed on the last lap, leaving him with a second-place finish. In the main, Brayton was able to put together a solid ride from start to finish. When the gate dropped he grabbed third place out of the first turn and battled the entire 20 laps, finishing a respectable fifth place.

"The day went really great for me, starting with a successful practice, which was able to set the tempo for the rest of the night," said Brayton. "After the last few weeks of not placing where I know I belong, it was a great step in the right direction. We have been working really hard, especially on my starts because that is key to having a great race. This weekend was a confidence booster for me, but more than anything it was a relief knowing that all my hard work is starting to pay off."

Yoshimura Suzuki's Brett Metcalfe captured another top-10 finish Saturday night aboard his Yoshimura-prepared Suzuki RM-Z450. Metcalfe has been the epitome of diligence and consistency this season and this recent round was no different.

Although Australian Metcalfe admitted he was a little underwhelmed by his performance this weekend, the Yoshimura Suzuki rider still put in some impressive laps in both his heat race and in the main event. In the former, Metcalfe overcame a rough start to card an eighth-place result in his heat race and transfer to the main event. In the 20-lap main, Metcalfe again struggled at the start but then charged hard on his Yoshimura Suzuki RM-Z450 and brought home a ninth-place finish.

"I had a rough weekend last week," admitted Metcalfe. "I went down and didn't have a good result. So I was really determined to put in a good result at Anaheim. I was feeling good on the track, but I was a little bit off all day, so that was kind of a bummer. Going into the heat race, I felt good on the Yoshimura Suzuki RM-Z450 and things were looking up. But I wheelied off the gate and got a bad start and ended up finishing eighth. In the main, I got another bad start and was never able to get it going. But now, I'm looking forward to getting back into it this week, and working hard on the Yoshimura Suzuki RM-Z450 and coming out for San Diego and trying to get things back on track."

For Yoshimura-backed Rockstar Energy Racing, Martin Davalos was one to watch at Anaheim. The Supercross Lites rider was in the hunt for his heat race and carded a third-place finish. In the main, Davalos went down at the start but rallied quickly and worked his way through the pack to finish up in 10th.
"I felt pretty good out there and got a good start," said Davalos. "But it felt like someone hit me from behind and I went down. Then, I was coming through the pack and Jason (Anderson) lost his front end or rear end, and I went down with him, so I had to come from last to 10th. I kind of rode my own pace and there was definitely an improvement there. Now, I'm going to try and work on some starts and come back strong for San Diego."

Rockstar Energy Racing teammate Jason Anderson had a tough weekend and struggled a bit as he was feeling remnants of his crash last weekend in Oakland. Although Anderson made it to the main event, he went down with Davalos early on and was unable to recover.

All the Yoshimura-backed teams are looking forward to their next event, the sixth round of the 2012 AMA/FIM Supercross Championship on Saturday, February 11th, at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego, CA. You can meet the Yoshimura Suzuki and Rockstar Energy Suzuki riders on Friday, February 10th, from 6 to 7PM at North County House of Motorcycles at 1725 Hacienda Drive - Suite C, Vista, CA.

About Yoshimura R&D of America: Yoshimura is "The Leader in Performance" and has been for more than 55 years. With unmatched skills, knowledge, and passion for racing, Yoshimura is on the forefront of the aftermarket exhaust industry. Yoshimura pipes are race bred and feature the same legendary performance, fit and quality that has been their trademark for more than five decades. To learn more about Yoshimura and view their wide variety of performance products, visit www.yoshimura-rd.com.

Yoshimura products are designed, manufactured, intended, and sold for use on vehicles that are operated only on closed course racing circuits unless otherwise noted. Use of these products on public roads or lands is strictly prohibited and may be a violation of local, state, or federal laws. Products intended for use on vehicles operated on public roads or lands are clearly so indicated.

eli tomac, ama, fim, supercross, championship, series, anaheim, honda racing team, crf450r, team honda muscle milk, justin brayton, news release, brett metcalfe, dirt rider magazine
eli tomac, ama, fim, supercross, championship, series, anaheim, honda racing team, crf450r, team honda muscle milk, justin brayton, news release, brett metcalfe, dirt rider magazine