The E3 story continues in Portugal

HondaProRacing.com News Release

This weekend the Enduro World Championship heads to Val de Cambra, Portugal for the second round of competition, only one week after the season start in Ponts, Spain.

Mika Ahola will be looking to build on his impressive start to the season last weekend, in which he took victory on both days in superb style. The Quadruple World Champion now sits proudly on top of the E3 World Champonship table and already has his eyes set on another crown.

One negative from last weeked, was the injury to reigning E3 World Champion, David Knight. Ahola had made the step up E3 expressly to challenge Knight and to take from him the only title that is missing from his collection (having won two titles in E1 and two in E2).

Many were looking forward to seeing arguably the two best Enduro riders going head-to-head in a season long battle. Unfortunately it now seems it is not to be, as Knight is expected to be out for many weeks, perhaps even months.

There is however a new challenger emerging in the E3 class, in the shape of Frenchman Christophe Nambotin. The Gas Gas rider showed impressive speed in Spain aboard his two-stroke and was the only man to really challenge Ahola across the course of the weekend. The experienced Finn is however up to the challenge of any man and will be relishing the chance to increase his championship points lead over Nambotin and the rest of the field this weekend.

Mika Ahola, Honda HM Zanardo
"I don't really know what to expect but once again, I think that Nambotin will be my closest rival. If it rains in Portugal that will certainly suit the lighter two-stroke so I am hoping once again for a dry event as it was in Spain last weekend. These conditions will suit me as I will be able to utilise the superior power of the CRE F500R. Having taken victory on both days in Spain my confidence is really high. I feel good about stepping into a new class, with a new bike and with a new challenge and am looking forward to carrying on this weekend and throughout the course of the season."