Pirelli Tires Win Big In Brazil

Pirelli Clinches The Motocross MX1 World Championship - Press Release

ROME, GA - With seven wins out of thirteen races run, Red Bull KTM Factory rider Antonio Cairoli and Pirelli Scorpion MX tires clinched the 2010 Motocross MX1 World Championship August 22nd in Brazil with just two rounds to go. This is a great achievement for Pirelli, which has now won its 53rd world motocross title, and for KTM, which won for the first time in the premier class since 1985, and for four-time world champion Tony Cairoli, who has been on the podium every race this season except for the German GP.

Thanks to a new bike and new tires, twenty-four-year-old Sicilian rider Cairoli has now won his 36th GP. The excellent traction of the Scorpion MXs and the smoother power distribution of the 350cc engine of his new KTM 350 SX-F helped Cairoli to reach extremely high performance levels.

"I didn't change anything (in my starts)" said Cairoli during an interview with the Italian magazine Motocross. "The way I start is still the same, that's true, and yet this year my starts are better. I've changed tire manufacturer, so maybe that's helped."

In Brazil, Pirelli achieved second place in the MX2 class with championship leader Marvin Musquin (KTM), racing on Scorpion MidSoft 32s on both the front and back. The French rider is now in a position to win his second world title as early as the next round, which is to take place on 5 September in Lierop, the Netherlands.

MX1. Championship standings:
1. Antonio Cairoli KTM Team Red Bull De Carli - 578
2. Clement Desalle Suzuki Team Teka - 471
3. David Philippaerts Yamaha Team Yamaha Monster - 441

MX2. Championship standings:
1. Marvin Musquin KTM Team Red Bull Factory - 571
2. Ken Roczen Suzuki Team Teka - 499
3. Steven Frossard Kawasaki Team CLS - 430

Pirelli Tire North America designs, develops, manufactures and markets tires for passenger vehicles in both the original equipment and replacement markets as well as markets and distributes tires for motorcycles and motorsports. Located in Rome, Georgia, Pirelli's Modular Integrated Robotized System (MIRS) employs state-of-the-art technology to manufacture tires for both export and domestic markets. For more information please visit www.us.pirelli.com.