KTM's Marc Coma Wins World Title At Pharaons Rally

_____KTM News Release_

(October 9, 2010) KTM Factory rider Marc Coma wrapped up the sixth stage of the Pharaon's Rally in Egypt's desert sands with a victory that also secured the 2010 World Rally Championship Title.

The rally also marked the first World Championship Open Production Title for the UAE won by KTM's Tim Trenker. Trenker finished 6th overall for the day - a finish decent enough to earn the title.

The Pharaon's Rally took riders from Cairo to El Alamein on the coast of the Mediterranean through exquisite but challenging desert terrain. The Spanish rider, Coma, won four of the six stages to secure his victory. The "four" turned out to be a magic number for Spain's Coma who said after reaching the finish: "Four, four, four! Four for the stages I won, four times the Pharaon's Rally, and four World Championships. With this fourth victory I have reached the same number of victories of Fabrizio Meoni at the Pharaon's and would like to take this time to remember him."

Coma's Ride
It was in Stage Two, a difficult run of 366 km from El Rammak to the bivouac of Bir Karawein, and on a day where the heat was the main obstacle that Coma began to take control of the race. Sitting in 3rd overall, Coma began his attack.

The third stage delivered stunning scenery set over stony surfaces and endless dunes. Coma the tactical maestro with superb skills aboard his KTM 690 made a strategic plan to finish 3rd overall on that day, knowing the longest leg of the rally would come on day four.

Coma stated, "When we got to the fastest 100 km of the day, the sun was high above and it was impossible to distinguish obstacles so I let off the gas a bit. I was happy to reduce the gap between me and the overall leader while keeping off advances by the Polish KTM rider Jakub Przygonski." Przygonski was the only rider able to challenge Coma for the World Title heading into the rally.

Birthday Victory
Day four was an occasion for Coma to celebrate his second stage win and also his birthday in an environment where he was clearly feeling like a winner as he made a decisive attack on the overall rankings. At the end of the day Coma was trailing Chile's Francisco Lopez by eight minutes overall.

Closing in on Victory
Stage five was another triumph for Coma who set off at dawn from Sitra and quickly mastered the dunes in the first 412 km and at the end of the day had closed down on Lopez in the general standings and set the stage for a thrilling battle for the final honors. Coma was primed with confidence and went into the final day with one intention - to wrap up the 2010 Pharaon's Rally in style securing his World Championship Rally Title. It was a classic finish to the rally and delivered yet another triumph to the Spanish rider and KTM.

The sole woman quad entrant Camelia Liparoti of Italy finished the tough Pharaon's Rally in mid field at 31st competing in a KTM 525 XC,

Results
1, Marc Coma, Spain, KTM 690 (World Rally Champion 2010) - winning margin 8 minutes 23 seconds

2, Francisco Lopez, Chile, Aprilia 450
3, Helder Rodriguez, Portugal, Yamaha 450
4, Jakub Przygonski, Poland, KTM 690
5, Jacek Czachor, Poland, KTM 690
6, Tim Trenker, Germany (for KTM UAE), KTM 690

ktm motorsports, marc coma, marco coma, pharaon rally, 2010 world rally championship title,
ktm motorsports, marc coma, marco coma, pharaon rally, 2010 world rally championship title,
ktm motorsports, marc coma, marco coma, pharaon rally, 2010 world rally championship title, ktm 690,