—Kawasaki Announces The 2014 Kawasaki KX85—
Every budding motocross star reaches a crossroads early in his or her career, where choosing the right motorcycle can mean all the difference between destination and destiny. With more amateur national championships than any other brand, the Kawasaki KX™ 85’s pedigree already outshines its competition, but for 2014 a new KX85 raises the bar higher than ever. In fact, the one thing that hasn’t changed is that the KX85 is still the ultimate training tool for the Ryan Villopotos of tomorrow. Box-stock, it’s ready to win championships!
The KX85‘s new more-powerful 85cc two-stroke engine boasts numerous improvements to increase its already potent peak output by 20%, with better low-end and mid-range torque. No doubt, the KX will nab more holeshots than ever before, but the improved torque also makes it more suitable for riders whose motocross skills are still in development. Other race-proven features, such as an advanced perimeter-frame chassis package, 36mm cartridge fork up front with 20-way compression damping adjustability and a fully adjustable Uni-Trak® shock out back provide excellent handling characteristics and superior tracking to tame the nastiest, most challenging racetracks.
The KX85’s engine bristles with performance- and reliability-improving changes that are sure to keep it ahead of the pack. Starting at the top, its cylinder head features a smaller squish band with a narrower angle and a shallower combustion chamber for increased power, while a new cylinder head gasket with a 1mm increase in bore surface height is held in place with an additional dowel pin to prevent detonation and increase engine reliability. The KX’s durable, Nikasil-plated cylinder also features a larger exhaust port that is optimally shaped for better flow, improving peak power at wide open throttle. A new piston with a longer piston pin improves durability, while the piston’s new single-ring design reduces cylinder wall friction for even better engine response.
All of this added power goes hand in hand with changes to improve the KX85’s factory-racer replica character, such as new carburetor jetting specs for its 28mm Keihin PWK carburetor, which features a crescent-shaped slide that positions the needle closer to the intake ports for optimized fuel atomization and smoother fuel delivery throughout the powerband. Further enhancing the KX85’s mid-range and top-end power is a revised Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve System (KIPS®) with new independent slider valves for each port that replace the previous 3-piece design, reducing maintenance and further improving reliability.
More durability improvements can be found in the KX’s crankshaft, which is now 83mm, 2mm larger than the previous model, and features a precisely shaped resin block added to the crankshaft to close the gap around the machined area near the crank pin. The resin block reduces the volume of the bottom-end to increase intake transfer. The result? A design that not only boasts increased rigidity and durability but that also helps to further increase power to boot. More power usually generates more heat, but the KX85’s new radiator increases cooling capacity by nearly 52% to improve engine life and reduce the chance of engine overheating during grueling motos.
The KX85’s six-speed transmission delivers smooth and positive shifting along with extreme durability thanks to its hard chrome-finished shift fork ends, a thick base on the clutch basket housing and an additional bushing on the input shaft.
It takes a race-proven suspension package to put all the KX85’s horsepower to the ground, and the new Uni-Trak® linkage equipped KYB reservoir shock and re-tuned inverted KYB 36mm forks are up to the task of tackling the roughest motocross terrain. Just like its big brothers, the KX85’s fork now features shim-type valving and firmer damping for faster riders while also offering superior bottoming resistance, but a wide range of adjustability allows it to be tailored for precise damping to fit a variety of riding styles as well as track conditions. Out back, the new shock’s black-anodized aluminum body is 150 grams lighter, while a new clicker-type adjuster makes fine-tuning the rear suspension damping quick and easy.
New petal-type brakes improve the KX’s stopping power, too. The 220mm front and 184mm rear rotors deliver strong, efficient braking performance while the shape of the petals helps clean the brake pads—a real plus in muddy conditions. The front brake hose is now routed behind the axle for better protection, and it also gets new hose guides that are just like the guides on the big KX models. The KX85 also wears new Dunlop® Geomax MX51 intermediate tires that provide optimal grip over varying terrain and riding conditions.
The KX85’s high-tensile steel perimeter frame is reinforced in key areas to maintain Kawasaki’s legendary handling traits and work in perfect harmony with the more potent engine, improved suspension and more powerful brakes, but significant ergonomics and styling changes greatly improve the KX’s overall look and feel. Its 32.7” tall seat height is .4” lower than the previous model to best fit a wide variety of growing inseams. More adjustability than ever before is available on the KX85, thanks to a new wider and taller handlebar, three-position handlebar risers and two-position handlebar clamps that offer a total of six different handlebar positions to custom tailor rider ergonomics for a comfortable fit.
Of course, if you ride anything but a KX85, the only time you’re likely to see one at the track is when it is standing still, and the KX’s bold new styling gives it a championship-winning look even when it is parked. A new fuel tank with a 20mm lower fuel cap, slim radiator covers and side panels blend harmoniously with a new, flatter two-tone seat that features a seamless cover and gripper material to expand cockpit room and increase rider comfort. A new angular front fender, number plate and white rear fender not only match the big KX models, the front fender also help to reduce mud accumulation, while new wrap-around fork guards protect the inner fork tubes and seals. Last but not least, a new brushed finish on the aluminum swingarm matches the big KXs and helps keep the KX85 looking fresher longer.
Completing its factory-racer styling, the KX85 is finished off in Kawasaki’s signature lime green with eye-catching detail appointments such as blue alumite coatings on the adjusters and black alumite coating on the rims, just like Villopoto’s factory KX450F.
Those who race their KX85 at designated events are eligible to receive support from Team Green™, Kawasaki’s amateur racing support program. For over 30 years, Team Green has provided regional support vehicles and highly trained technicians at more than 100 events per year throughout the United States, offering technical information and assistance to those who race Kawasaki products. Kawasaki also offers a comprehensive contingency program for amateur and professional riders who place well at designated events.
Genuine Kawasaki Parts and Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers.
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. (KMC) markets and distributes Kawasaki motorcycles, ATVs, Side x Sides, and personal watercraft through a network of more than 1,200 independent retailers, with an additional 7,400 retailers specializing in Kawasaki power products and general purpose engines. KMC and its affiliates employ nearly 3,100 people in the United States, with 300 of them located at KMC’s Irvine, California headquarters.
Kawasaki’s tagline, “Let the good times roll.™”, is recognized worldwide. For five decades, the Kawasaki brand has become synonymous with powerful, stylish and category-leading vehicles. Information about Kawasaki’s complete line of powersports products and Kawasaki affiliates can be found on the Internet at www.kawasaki.com.
2014 Kawasaki KX™85
Features and Benefits
At A Glance…
- NEW Retuned liquid-cooled, two-stroke, 85cc engine produces 20% more peak power than previous model
- NEW Revised Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve increases more mid-range torque and top-end power
- Uni-Trak® rear suspension is fully adjustable for compression and rebound damping and spring preload
- Rigid 36mm inverted cartridge forks are 20-way compression damping adjustable and provide better steering response and control
- Revised jetting in the 28mm Keihin PWK carburetor helps give ideal fuel atomization, for quicker throttle response and a smoother power delivery
- Six-speed transmission has chrome-finished shift fork ends to resist wear and seizing while bushings on the second, third and fourth gears on the output shaft increase durability
- Industry-leading amateur racer support through Team Green™
Liquid-cooled, Two-stroke, Single-cylinder 85cc Engine
- NEW Cylinder head combustion shape increases power at all rpm
- NEW Cylinder head gasket and gasket retention dowel prevents detonation, increasing reliability
- NEW Piston with longer piston pin improves reliability; single-ring design (was two rings) reduces friction
- NEW Lightweight Nikasil-coated cylinder features a new exhaust port shape for better flow, more power
- NEW Larger outer diameter crankshaft is now 83mm (+2mm), increasing rigidity and improving durability
- NEW Precisely shaped resin block added to crankshaft closes the gap around the machined area near the crank pin, reducing volume of the bottom-end to increase intake transfer for more power
- Intake and exhaust port bridges are machine-finished for reduced wear and improved reliability
- Rotor comes with rare-earth magnets; the unitized piece is small, light and more efficient; low inertial moment improves low-rpm response
- Connecting rod big-end bearing has more rigid cage for improved durability
- Intake port shape and cylinder skirt allow cooling air into the crankcase chamber
- Primary gear is secured using a lock-nut to help reduce mechanical noise
- Metafoam gaskets for the generator and water pump covers improve sealing
Kawasaki Integrated Power Valve System (KIPS®)
- KIPS system varies exhaust-port height for increased horsepower and torque at all rpm
- NEW independent valves replace the old three-piece valve design, increasing reliability and reducing maintenance
- Produces a broad powerband with more mid-range torque and excellent top-end power
- Breather in KIPS cover improves high-rpm and overrun performance
- NEW larger radiator increases cooling capacity by nearly 52% to sustain engine power during long motos
- Radiator is 2.6mm wider, 40mm taller
- Large right-side cutout improves airflow for increased power
- Reusable foam air filter
28mm Keihin PWK Carburetor
- Revised jetting optimizes performance with new engine tuning specs
- Large crescent slide positions the needle closer to intake ports for ideal fuel atomization, providing quicker throttle response and a smoother power delivery
- Carburetor adjustable for various conditions
- Features large-diameter O-ring and groove on exhaust pipe for improved durability and easy installation
- Aluminum silencer is re-packable like larger KX models
- Thick-base clutch hub rides on needle bearings for smooth action
- Large 91mm clutch plates offer excellent durability and precise engagement
- Clutch-release ratio is designed for light clutch lever action
- Clutch plate service cover simplifies maintenance and utilizes a metal-carbon composite gasket
- Positive shifting action and rugged durability
- Fifth and sixth gears ride on bushings for added reliability
- Shift forks are hard chrome-finished to resist wear and seizing
- Convenient oil-level window offers easy level checks
- Bushings on the second, third and fourth gears increase durability
High-tensile Steel Perimeter Frame
- High-tensile steel tubing is reinforced in key areas to optimize durability and weight
- Perimeter design accommodates optimal intake/exhaust design
- Wide, steel footpegs offer added control and strength.
- Thick footpeg-mount brackets withstand today’s rigorous tracks
- Engine and chassis bolts feature rust-resistant coating
- NEW Fuel tank design features a flatter top area for smoother seating
- NEW Tank cap is moved 20mm lower to extend available room for the rider
Uni-Trak® Rear Suspension
- NEW KYB reservoir shock features black-anodized aluminum body, saves 150 grams of weight
- NEW clicker-type compression damping adjuster allows for more precise damping adjustments
- Swingarm uses large cross-section beams for improved rigidity and control
- Cast-aluminum drive chain adjuster sections allow easy chain adjustments
- Shock is fully adjustable with 24-position compression and 21-position rebound damping, plus stepless spring preload
36mm Inverted Cartridge Fork
- NEW shim-type valving provides more precise damping control
- NEW firmer damping rates offer superior bottoming resistance
- Inverted fork is rigid, providing better steering response and control
- Compression damping is 20-way adjustable
- Aluminum upper fork tubes measure 36mm in diameter for flex-free performance
- Revised axle clamp reduces under-hang for greater fork clearance in ruts
- NEW petal-type brake rotors (220mm front/184mm rear) increase stopping power
- NEW petal-type rotor design helps clean the brake pads for more consistent performance
- NEW front brake hose routing helps protect brake line; front guides are just like the big KXs
- Direct upward line routing simplifies brake bleeding and maintenance
- Front brake lever shape offers optimum feel
- Forged-aluminum rear brake pedal is strong, lightweight and features two seals at the pivot for smooth operation and increased durability
- Provide strong braking power with minimal effort
- Black alumite-coated lightweight aluminum rims offer a factory look
- Rear hub features two bearings on the drive side for added durability
- Large rear-axle diameter for optimum rigidity
- NEW Dunlop® Geomax MX51 tires provide optimal grip for a wide range of riding conditions
- NEW Slimmer radiator shrouds and side panels improve rider ergonomics
- NEW Flat seat with seamless seat cover and gripper material improve comfort and make weight shifts easier
- NEW 32.7” seat height is .4” lower than 2013, ideal for growing riders
- NEW Handlebars are 24mm wider and 22mm taller for increased leverage and comfort
- NEW Three-position handlebar risers offer STD, +5mm higher and +10mm higher bar positioning
- NEW Two-position handlebar clamps offer STD, +10mm forward bar location for a total of six different handlebar positions with new handlebar risers
- NEW Swingarm surface finish matches big KXs and is easier to clean
- NEW Angular front fender, angular rear fender and number plate design match big KX-styling
- NEW Wraparound fork guards with embossed Kawasaki logo protect inner fork tubes and enhance styling
- Grey clutch and ignition covers resist the signs of boot rub to help keep the KX looking fresh
- Factory lime green “flow line” graphics and black alumite coatings mirror the reigning champ’s motorcycle
2014 Kawasaki KX™85 Specifications*
|Engine:||Two-stroke single with KIPS®|
|Bore x stroke:||48.5mm x 45.8mm|
|Induction:||Crankcase reed valve|
|Compression ratio:||10.9:1 (low speed) –9.0:1 (high speed)|
|Frame:||High-tensile steel perimeter design with subframe member|
|Rake / trail:||29 degrees / 3.8 in.|
|Front suspension / wheel travel:||36mm inverted telescopic cartridge fork with 20-way compression damping / 10.8 in.|
|Rear suspension / wheel travel:||UNI-TRAK® single-shock system with 24-way compression and 21-way rebound damping, plus adjustable spring preload / 10.8 in.|
|Front brake / rear brake:||Hydraulic disc / Disc|
|Overall length:||72.0 in.|
|Overall width:||30.1 in.|
|Overall height:||43.3 in.|
|Ground clearance:||11.4 in.|
|Seat height:||32.7 in.|
|Curb weight:||165.3 lbs.|
|Fuel capacity:||1.32 gal.|
*Specifications are subject to change.