Weimer Claims Lites Class Championship as Hansen Scores Main Event Win – Monster Energy Supercross Update
SALT LAKE CITY (May 1, 2010) - In sloppy conditions at Rice-Eccles Stadium, Kevin Windham, of Centerville, Miss., won his second consecutive Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, race in front of 38,882 fans that braved the rain and snow tonight. Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Jake Weimer, of Rupert, Idaho won the Western Regional AMA Supercross championship, and his teammate Josh Hansen, of Elbert, Colo., won the main event, marking the first win of his season.
Windham won the Spike Holeshot Award with Honda Red Bull Racing’s Davi Millsaps, of Murrieta, Calif., on his back wheel to start the AMA Supercross class main event. During lap one, Windham and Millsaps traded positions a few times before Windham made the final move and rode 15 perfect laps to earn his second consecutive AMA Supercross class win. Millsaps finished second and his teammate Andrew Short, of Smithville, Texas, finished third.
“I kept my head down and put in 15 great laps,” said Windham. “The first few laps of the race, Davi (Millsaps) and I had a good battle going. I was probably the only rider here today that was excited when the rain came because I enjoy these conditions.”
TLD/Lucas Oil/Honda’s Wil Hahn, of Decatur, Texas, won the Spike Holeshot Award with Hansen in tow. On the opening lap, Hansen made his way around Hahn for the lead and rode to victory. Geico Powersports/Honda’s Trey Canard, of Shawnee, Okla., made a late-race charge to pass Hahn on lap 14 to secure second place.
“I don’t even know what to say about this,” said Weimer. “I have so many people behind me that helped me achieve this. The championship is not just for me, it’s for me, my team and my Dad. I want to thank my family and friends as well as the fans for coming out and showing their support.”
“Tonight I put it together and am really happy to earn this win,” said Hansen. “It was rough out there in the rain and snow and doing the triple was pretty scary.
The AMA Supercross class will air on CBS Sunday, May 2 at 12:00 p.m. EST. The Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites class will air on SPEED Sunday, May 2 at 6:00 p.m. EST.
The 2010 Monster Energy AMA Supercross season concludes next weekend at Las Vegas’ Sam Boyd Stadium.
AMA Supercross Class Results: Salt Lake City
1. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda
2. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
3. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
4. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
5. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha
6. Michael Byrne, Newnan, Ga., Yamaha
7. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
8. Tommy Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Suzuki
9. Nick Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki
10. Chris Blose, Phoenix, Ariz., Honda
AMA Supercross Class Season Standings
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 338
2. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda, 273
3. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 266
4. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 253
5. Josh Hill, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha, 229
6. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 225
7. Nick Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 186
8. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 183
9. Tommy Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Suzuki, 174
10. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha, 163
Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Results: Salt Lake City
1. Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki
2. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
3. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda
4. Ryan Morais, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
5. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki
6. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Yamaha
7. Phil Nicoletti, Bethel, N.Y., KTM
8. Hunter Hewitt, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki
9. Travis Baker, Temecula, Calif., Yamaha
10. Jeff Alessi, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
1. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki, 171
2. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda, 156
3. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda, 153
4. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Yamaha, 140
5. Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Honda, 116
6. Josh Hansen, Elbert Colo., Kawasaki, 100
7. Cole Seely, Newbury Park, Calif., Honda, 100
8. Phillip Nicoletti, Bethel, N.Y., KTM 83
9. Max Anstie, Hemet, Calif., Yamaha, 82
10. Ryan Morais, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 76
A season-long subscription to the official webcast of Monster Energy Supercross, Supercross LIVE(r), is available for $17.99: http://www.supercrossonline.com/supercrosslive. Supercross LIVE(r) is the only weekly live Monster Energy Supercross race call, and features long time voices of supercross, Jason Weigandt and Jim Holley.
For more information on the Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, please log on to www.SupercrossOnline.com. For all media requests, please contact Denny Hartwig firstname.lastname@example.org or 630-566-6305.
About Feld Motor Sports
Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is the world leader in specialized arena and stadium-based motor sports entertainment. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. productions include Advance Auto Parts Monster Jam(r), Monster Energy(r) Supercross, AMA Arenacross Series, Freestyle Motocross, and IHRA(r) Nitro Jam(r). Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is a division of Feld Entertainment, the world’s largest producer of live family entertainment. For more information on Feld Entertainment, visit www.feldentertainment.com.