Bowers Extends Points Lead with 10th Win in Front of Hometown Crowd – AMA ArenaCross Series News Release
LEXINGTON, Ky. (February 4, 2012) – The ninth round of the 2012 AMA Arenacross Series season signified the series’ debut from Rupp Arena, and to commemorate the occasion, a champion was crowned as Motostar Kawasaki’s Michael McDade, of Edinburg, Pa., captured his first career American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) title in the Arenacross Lites Eastern Regional Championship. In the premier Arenacross Class, Babbitt’s Monster Energy/AMSOIL Kawasaki presented by Maxxis’ Tyler Bowers, of Danville, Ky., grabbed his 10th win of the season in front of his hometown crowd, extending his championship lead.
McDade entered the night with a 17-point lead over Dragon Racing Fuels/AG Motorsports KTM’s Michael Willard. When the gate dropped on the 18-lap main event, McDade took the holeshot and looked to pull away from the field. On Lap 2, Team Faith KTM’s Kevin Johnson, of Spring, Texas, slipped past McDade and asserted himself out front. As McDade attempted to battle back, he went down, allowing Airide KTM’s Daniel Blair, of Lodi, Calif., and Reed & Reese KTM’s Dave Ginolfi, of Lake Hopatcong, N.J., to slip past.
Johnson continued to pull away, while Blair and Ginolfi rounded out a podium sweep for KTM in second and third, respectively. McDade remounted but fell again on Lap 9, ultimately bringing home a 13th-place finish. Despite his misfortune, McDade was still able to secure the title.
In the 25-lap Arenacross Class Main Event, FMF Power/Poynt TUF Honda’s Jeff Gibson, of Blacklick, Ohio, grabbed the holeshot and early lead, with Bowers in tow. On Lap 2, Bowers passed Gibson, only to have his rival fight back one lap later.
The pair paced one another for the next eight laps before Bowers made another pass on Lap 11. Once he worked his way back into the lead, Bowers stayed out front while Bella’s Cupcakes/Club MX Kawasaki’s Zach Ames, of Prospect, Ohio, moved into second. Gibson finished third.
Bowers extended his points lead to 21 over Gibson, as the series heads west.
The 2012 AMA Arenacross Series season continues next weekend, with its 10th round of the championship from Fresno, Calif., and the Save Mart Center. Action kicks off next Saturday, February 11 at 7 p.m. PT.
Arenacross Class Results (Lexington, Ky.)
1. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki
2. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Kawasaki
3. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda
4. Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, KTM
5. Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, KTM
6. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
7. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., KTM
8. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda
9. Michael Willard, Newark, Ohio, KTM
10. Kyle White, Freeport, Ill., Honda
Arenacross Lites Class Results (Lexington, Ky.)
1. Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, KTM
2. Daniel Blair, Lodi, Calif., KTM
3. Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatcong, N.J., KTM
4. Austin Coon, Spencer, W.Va., Honda
5. Kyle White, Freeport, Ill., Honda
6. Steven Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, Kawasaki
7. Kevin Markwardt, Freeport, Ill., Honda
8. Michael Lang, Saugerties, N.Y., Honda
9. Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki
10. Jerry Lorenz, Morrice, Ill., Kawasaki
Arenacross Class Points (After Race 15 of 19)
1. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki (10 wins) – 330
2. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda (2 wins) – 309
3. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki (2 wins) – 268
4. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., KTM (1 win) – 241
5. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Kawasaki – 220
6. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 210
7. Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, KTM – 173
8. Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Kawasaki – 127
9. Travis Sewell, Westville, Ind., KTM – 126
10. Michael Willard, Newark, Ohio, KTM – 113
Eastern Regional Arenacross Lites Class Points (After Race 10 of 10)
1. Michael McDade, Indiana, Pa., Kawasaki (1 win) – 184
2. Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatcong, N.J., KTM (2 win) – 170
3. Michael Willard, Newark, Ohio, KTM (3 wins) – 159
4. Steven Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, Kawasaki (1 win) – 155
5. Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, KTM (1 win) – 127
6. Daniel Blair, Lodi, Calif., KTM – 97
7. Austin Coon, Spencer, W. Va., Honda – 95
8. Travis Sewell, Westfield, Ind., KTM – 91
9. Kyle White, Freeport, Ill., Honda – 88
10. Maxx Malatia, Itasca, Ill., Honda – 68
Live timing and scoring from each round of the AMA Arenacross Series returns for the 2012 season! To follow the intense racing action live, log onto www.Arenacross.com.
Never miss out on the latest news! Follow the AMA Arenacross Series on Facebook and Twitter! Log on to http://www.facebook.com/AMAarenacross and http://twitter.com/arenacross today!
About Feld Motor SportsÂ®
Feld Motor SportsÂ®, Inc. is the world leader in specialized arena and stadium-based motor sports entertainment. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. productions include Advance Auto Parts Monster JamÂ®, Monster Energy Supercross, AMA Arenacross Series, Nuclear CowboyzÂ®, and IHRAÂ® Nitro JamÂ®. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is a division of Feld Entertainment, the world’s largest producer of live family entertainment. For more information on Feld Entertainment, visit www.feldentertainment.com.