Kevin Johnson Sweeps Arenacross Lites Class Weekend
TOPEKA, Kan. (January 14, 2012) – Just one night after taking over the AMA Arenacross Series points lead, Babbitt’s Monster Energy/AMSOIL Kawasaki presented by Maxxis’ Tyler Bowers, of Danville, Ky., was hoping to grab his fourth straight win on Saturday night inside the Expocentre. Instead, it was his Babbitt’s Monster Energy/AMSOIL Kawasaki teammate Chad Johnson, of Rhinelander, Wis., who prevailed, racing to his second win of the 2012 season. In the Arenacross Lites Class, Team Faith KTM’s Kevin Johnson, of Spring, Texas, made it a clean sweep of the weekend, dominating en route to his second victory of the season.
Foremost Insurance/Spinechillers/Storm Lake Honda’s Nathan Skaggs, of Chillicothe, Ohio, grabbed the early lead in the 25-lap main event, but was quickly pressured by FMF Power/Poynt TUF Honda’s Jeff Gibson, of Blacklick, Ohio. Gibson made his move for the lead on Lap 8, but he and Skaggs made contact, with Gibson getting the worse end of it.
While Skaggs and Gibson attempted to recover, Johnson assumed the lead and never looked back. Skaggs soldiered on in second, but was quickly passed by Bowers. Gibson fell six spots to eighth and never recovered. Out front, Johnson took the win, with Bowers in second and Skaggs holding on for third.
Bowers maintains control of the red number plate as the championship leader, gaining nine points on Gibson and extending his advantage in the point standings to 12 over Gibson.
In the 18-lap Arenacross Lites Class main event, Johnson took control out of the gate, securing the holeshot and leading wire-to-wire. While the veteran pulled away out front, the battle for second kept the fans on their feet. BWREngines.com Honda’s Maxx Malatia, of Itasca, Ill., and reigning Western Regional Champion Chad Cook, of Oklahoma City, Okla., went bar-to-bar throughout the main event, but on the final lap, Cook made the move aboard his HOK Racing Kawasaki to steal the spot and cap off his weekend with back-to-back podium efforts.
In the Dash for Cash, Skaggs grabbed the win in the exciting four-lap shootout. All proceeds went to Teens Taking Action.
AMA Arenacross Series continues next weekend, with an exciting night of action from Dayton, Ohio, and the Nutter Center, on Saturday, January 21. The action kicks off at 7 p.m. ET.
Arenacross Class Results (Topeka, Kan.)
1. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
2. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki
3. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda
4. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., KTM
5. Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, KTM
6. Travis Sewell, Westville, Ind., KTM
7. Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki
8. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda
9. Cole Siebler, Emmett, Idaho, Honda
10. Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, KTM
Arenacross Lites Class Results (Topeka, Kan.)
1. Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, KTM
2. Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki
3. Maxx Malatia, Itasca, Ill., Honda
4. Dalton Carlson, Dayton, Minn., KTM
5. Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatcong, N.J., KTM
6. Patrick Massie, Washington Court House, Ohio, Honda
7. Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM
8. Kyle White, Freeport, Ill., Honda
9. Theodore Pauli, Edwardsville, Ill., Kawasaki
10. Michael Thacker, Fort Worth, Texas, Kawasaki
Arenacross Class Points (After Race 10 of 19)
1. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki (7 wins) – 235
2. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda (2 wins) – 223
3. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki (2 wins) – 206
4. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., KTM – 172
5. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 153
6. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Kawasaki – 146
7. Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Kawasaki – 127
8. Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, KTM – 117
9. Travis Sewell, Westville, Ind., KTM – 101
10. Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki – 73
Western Regional Arenacross Lites Class Points (After Race 3 of 9)
1. Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM – 47
2. Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki – 47
3. Kevin Markwardt, Freeport, Ill., Honda – 36
4. Brandon Marley, McEwen, Tenn., KTM – 19
5. Cody Church, Grand Junction, Colo., Kawasaki – 18
6. Aviery Hickey, Southlake, Texas, Honda – 11
7. Shawn Rife, Mechanicsburg, Ohio, Honda – 7
8. Devin Reed, Indianola, Iowa, Honda – 6
9. Jake Locks, Dixon, Calif., KTM – 6
10. Jeremy Huddleston, Eustace, Texas, KTM – 5
Live timing and scoring from each round of the AMA Arenacross Series returns for the 2012 season! To follow the intense racing action live, log onto www.Arenacross.com.
About Feld Motor SportsÂ®
Feld Motor SportsÂ®, Inc. is the world leader in specialized arena and stadium-based motor sports entertainment. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. productions include Advance Auto Parts Monster JamÂ®, Monster Energy Supercross, AMA Arenacross Series, Nuclear CowboyzÂ®, and IHRAÂ® Nitro JamÂ®. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is a division of Feld Entertainment, the world’s largest producer of live family entertainment. For more information on Feld Entertainment, visit www.feldentertainment.com.