Jesse Ziegler to Klim Gear

In that last few days I've been bummed because I knew we were losing one of our team. Jesse Ziegler has decided to move onto greener pastures and take a job in the marketing department at Klim Gear up in Idaho. See, that is why it is greener...Anything is greener than California.

Having been at Dirt Rider for a number of years (don't have time to research how many but his first assignment was a test of a Suzuki RM 250 tow-stroke I believe in 2006) Jesse lived the moto journalism dream to the fullest, obviously filling up his tank enough to disconnect the supply line. Or did he overdose? That will be answered when he has to go and buy a new bike or pay full retail for a tire. But we know he won't be sporting brand new Fox or Thor moto gear either, I'll bet his buddies up in Idaho and Montana will be rolling around in a lot of his old duds since he can't wear them anymore. Plus that frees up 3-4 more covers a year for other staffers to try and snag, mostly me.

I tried to talk him out of leaving but he said my new mustache was just too much for him to take and he frankly couldn't stand looking at me. Without laughing, that is. Life as a magazine editor is truthfully a low-paying and time consuming proposition and the revolving door seems to spin fast at times when people who are doing this kind of work finally face reality. You really have to love it, which Jesse did, but at some point it is time to go and make a real living. Or go home. Or get away from me. He accomplished all three and I wish him all the luck in the world while at the same time tell him to not let the door hit him in the ass on the way out. I'm stoked for him and pissed at him at the same time. I know replacing him will be difficult, I'm looking for interns as we speak to fill the gap. It is tough to find the right combination for a solid editor--a decent rider with good feel for a bike, quick wit, handy with the camera, plays well with others, makes deadlines. Well OK, he was most of those.

So if you see Jesse in the next few weeks, before he heads north, give him a hug because he's made a tough decision. Then ask him if he wants to buy your used bike and see if he can tell you how to get an in if you are looking to take his old job. Just don't tell me Jesse Ziegler sent you.

Jesse Ziegler and Jimmy Lewis