Johnson Gives Babbitt’s Weekend Sweep in Denver,Tightens Championship Standings – Chad Cook Goes Back-to-Back in Arenacross Lites – Arenacross News Release
DENVER, Colo. (January 29, 2011) – Babbitt’s Monster Energy/TiLUBE Kawasaki presented by Maxxis’ Chad Johnson, of Rhinelander, Wis., became the third different winner of the 2011 AMA Arenacross Season inside the Denver Coliseum on Saturday with a strong outing in the Arenacross class. In the second night of Arenacross Lites Western Regional Championship action, Chad Cook, of Oklahoma City, Okla., raced to his second win in as many nights aboard his House of Kawasaki machine.
Just one night after his teammate Tyler Bowers, of Danville, Ky., ended the undefeated streak of current points leader Jeff Gibson, of Blacklick, Ohio, Johnson made himself a player in the chase for the 2011 title, but it wasn’t without a fight. After failing to make the podium for the first time in 2011, Gibson was determined to get back on top of the box. The TUF Honda rider and Johnson were bar-to-bar for nearly the entire 25-lap main event, with Gibson taking shots at the top spot every chance he had, unsuccessfully making the pass each time. The duo’s relentless battle kept the fans inside the Denver Coliseum on their feet in a showcase of what the AMA Arenacross Series is all about.
While his closest rivals put on a show out front, Bowers closed in during the late stages only to fall as he came within striking distance. However, the winningest rider of the 2010 season rebounded with a vengeance, finding a way to track down Gibson in the final five laps to take over the runner-up spot behind his teammate. Gibson gave it everything he had, but the energy he exerted in his memorable battle with Johnson ultimately dropped him to third.
Much like Friday night, the Arenacross Lites main event was a showcase for Cook. After taking the Western Regional Championship points lead on Night One, the Oklahoma native continued his dominance on Night Two while also extending his points lead. Sun Honda rider and Colorado native Bobby Fitch, of Littleton, finished behind Cook for the second consecutive evening while Foremost Insurance/Spinechillers/HondaofFairfield.com’s Patrick Massie, of Washington Court, Ohio, rounded out the podium in third.
The 2011 AMA Arenacross Series continues next weekend with Round 5 from Toledo, Ohio and the brand new Huntington Center for two nights of action. The racing begins on both Friday and Saturday night at 7:00 p.m. ET.
Arenacross Class Results (Denver, Colo.)
1. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
2. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki
3. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda
4. Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki
5. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda
6. Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, Yamaha
7. Cole Siebler, Emmett, Idaho, Honda
8. Daniel Aulsaybrook, Ortonville, Mich., Suzuki
9. Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatlong, N.J., Suzuki
10. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda
AMA Arenacross Lites Class Results (Denver, Colo.)
1. Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki
2. Bobby Fitch, Littleton, Colo., Honda
3. Patrick Massie, Washington Court, Ohio, Honda
4. Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM
5. Zachary Jaynes, Princeton, Texas, Yamaha
6. Ricky Yorks, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
7. Tanner Young, Marland, Okla., Yamaha
8. Cody Doerfler, Peyton, Colo., Yamaha
9. Travis Smith, Lancaster, Calif., Yamaha
10. Jeremy Huddlesteon, Eustace, Texas, KTM
Arenacross Class Points (After Race 5 of 19)
1. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda – 113
2. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki – 107
3. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki – 105
4. Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki – 81
5. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda – 76
6. Cole Siebler, Emmett, Idaho, Ho nda – 74
7. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 70
8. Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki – 54
9. Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, Yamaha – 54
10. Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, Honda – 53
Arenacross Lites Class Western Regional Points (After Race 3 of 10)
1. Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki – 72
2. Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM – 45
3. Aviery Hickey, Decatur, Texas, Kawasaki – 44
4. Bobby Fitch, Littleton, Colo., Honda – 44
5. Travis Smith, Lancaster, Calif., Yamaha – 38
6. Ricky Yorks, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha – 29
7. Jeremy Huddleston, Eustace, Texas, KTM – 27
8. Zachary Jaynes, Princeton, Texas, Yamaha – 27
9. Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki – 25
10. Tanner Young, Marland, Okla., Yamaha – 22
New for 2011! Live timing and scoring from each round of the AMA Arenacross Series. To follow the intense racing action live, log onto www.Arenacross.com.
For more information on the 2011 AMA Arenacross Series, log on to www.Arenacross.com.
About Feld Motor Sports(r)
Feld Motor Sports(r), Inc. is the world leader in specialized arena and stadium-based motor sports entertainment. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. productions include Advance Auto Parts Monster Jam(r), Monster Energy Supercross, AMA Arenacross Series, Nuclear Cowboyz(sm), and IHRA(r) Nitro Jam(r). Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is a division of Feld Entertainment, the world’s largest producer of live family entertainment. For more information on Feld Entertainment, visit www.feldentertainment.com.