Knight dominates E3 class at '10 EWC opener

_David Knight Results Service 2010

_

KTM Farioli Enduro Factory Support Team rider David Knight has made the perfect start to his participation in the Enduro 3 class of the '10 Enduro World Championship topping the category on both days ahead of his expected closest rival, Frenchman Christophe Nambotin. With the event a long, hot and demanding one for all riders Knight ended the first days competition over 30 seconds ahead of his closest rival before extending his winning margin to more than one-minute on day two.

Despite the dry, dusty and demanding conditions in Valverde del Camino Knight was one of only a few riders to enjoy a trouble free event. With mistakes commonplace on all of the event's challenging special tests David managed to open up an sizeable advantage early on both days, ensuring that he didn't need to take any unnecessary risks on his way to claiming his double Enduro 3 class win.

David's next event will be the second round of the Enduro World Championship, the GP of Portugal, which takes place on April 17/18.

David Knight: 'It's been a great start to the championship, I couldn't have asked for any more really. I was looking forward to the event because I enjoyed it the last time I raced here in '02 but this was a lot, lot harder. Two eight-hour days, five tests on each lap, some really technical sections during the time controls, and hot weather on both days - it certainly wasn't easy. I'm not a fan of having the Super Test during the dark so I just took things steadily really on Friday night. You couldn't see large parts of the test because it was so dark - it was dangerous really.

'The first day went well. I didn't push too hard from the start as I wanted to get settled in a bit first. It was really close with Christophe Nambotin and myself to start with. He'd pull some time on me on one test and then I'd pull some time on him on another. I made a few mistakes during the day, but it was impossible not to. Come the end of the day I had a good advantage and managed to win, which was great. I started the second day cautiously, like I did the first day. I was about equal with Christophe going into the first extreme test but came out of it about 30 seconds ahead after he had a problem. After that it was just a case of maintaining my lead and not doing anything stupid because it was really easy to make mistakes. If the rest of the championship goes as well as this weekend I'll be really happy.'

2010 Enduro World Championship
Grand Prix of Spain - Enduro 3, Day 1

1. David Knight (KTM Enduro Factory Support Team) 1.05:41.51
2. Christophe Nambotin (Gas Gas) 1.06:12.58
3. Simone Albergoni (KTM) 1.07:27.64
4. Oriol Mena (Husaberg) 1.07:34.62
5. Seb Guillaume (Husqvarna) 1.08:06.11
2010 Enduro World Championship
Grand Prix of Spain - Enduro 3, Day 2**
1. David Knight (KTM Enduro Factory Support Team) 1.15:31.34
2. Christophe Nambotin (Gas Gas) 1.16:40.40
3. Simone Albergoni (KTM) 1.17:18.14