Canard Cruises to Lites Class
SAN FRANCISCO (January 30, 2009) – Before 41,872 at AT&T Park tonight, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto, of Poulsbo, Wash., won his first Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, race. GEICO Powersports Honda’s Trey Canard, of Shawnee, Okla., won his first Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites class race of the season, leading wire-to-wire.
Rockstar/Makita/Suzuki’s Ryan Dungey, of Belle Plaine, Minn., captured the Spike Holeshot Award with Villopoto and Honda Red Bull Racing’s Davi Millsaps, of Tallahassee, Fla., following in second and third respectively. Millsaps passed Villopoto on the first lap but crashed on lap four, giving second place back to Villopoto.
While leading on lap 10, Dungey crashed and dropped back to fourth place. This allowed Villopoto to move into the lead, Hill to second and Millsaps to third.
“I lost my foot and went sailing,” said Dungey. “It could have been a lot worse. I am glad I am not hurt.”
The win for Villopoto marked the third in his career. Hill finished second and Millsaps finished third.
“The track was tough and slippery,” said Villopoto. “It was hard to put in 20 perfect laps out there tonight. It wasn’t the start that I wanted, so I played catch-up. It is a long season with a lot of racing left.”
Troy Lee Designs/Lucas Oil/Honda’s Cole Seeley, of Newbury Park, Calif., won the Spike Holeshot Award, but it was Canard, who quickly stole the lead. Current Lites class points leader Jake Weimer, of the Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki team, moved into second with DNA Energy/Star Racing Yamaha’s Broc Tickle held the number three position. Weimer held on for second and Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Josh Hansen for third.
“I had a rough start to this season, and I am finally starting to come around,” said Canard. “This was great night for me and my team.”
“I hate losing and I lost tonight, but I have the points lead and am thankful for everyone that has helped me get here,” said Weimer.
CBS Sports will air the AMA Supercross class race on Sunday, January 31 at Noon EST and SPEED will air the AMA Supercross Lites class on Sunday, January 31 at 10:00 p.m. EST.
AMA Supercross Class Results: San Francisco
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
2. Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha
3. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
4. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
5. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
6. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
7. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
8. Nick Wey, Dewitt, Mich., Kawasaki
9. Thomas Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Suzuki
10. Michael Byrne, Atlanta, Ga., Yamaha
AMA Supercross Class Season Standings
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 90
2. Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha, 79
3. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 77
4. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 68
5. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda, 61
6. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 57
7. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 57
8. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 56
9. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha, 51
10. Tommy Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Suzuki, 42
Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Results: San Francisco
1. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
2. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki
3. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Yamaha
4. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda
5. Cole Seely, Newbury Park, Calif., Honda
6. Travis Baker, Temecula, Calif., Honda
7. Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki
8. Max Antsie, Hemet, Calif., Yamaha
9. Jeff Alessi, Apple Valley, Calif., Yamaha
10. Phillip Nicoletti, Bethel, N.Y., KTM
Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
1. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki, 97
2. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda, 81
3. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda, 74
4. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Yamaha, 62
5. Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Honda, 59
6. Cole Seely, Newbury Park, Calif., Honda, 54
7. Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki, 46
8. Max Anstie, Hemet, Calif., Yamaha, 45
9. Ryan Morais, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 42
10. Jeff Alessi, Apple Valley, Calif., Yamaha, 40
A season-long subscription to the official webcast of Monster Energy Supercross, SupercrossLIVEÂ®, is available for $39.99: http://www.supercrossonline.com/supercrosslive. Supercross LIVEÂ® is the only weekly live Monster Energy Supercross race call, and features long time voices of supercross, Jason Weigandt and Jim Holley.
For more information on the Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, please log on to www.SupercrossOnline.com.
About Feld Motor Sports(SM)
Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is the world leader in specialized arena and stadium-based motor sports entertainment. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. productions include Monster JamÂ®, SuperBull(SM), Monster Energy Supercross, AMA Arenacross Series, Nuclear Cowboyz(SM), Gravity Slashers(SM), and IHRAÂ® Nitro JamÂ®. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is a division of Feld Entertainment, the world’s largest producer of live family entertainment. For more information on Feld Entertainment, visit www.feldentertainment.com.