Dakar 2012, Stage 2
Santa Rosa de la Pampa – San Rafael
781 km in total, 295 km special test
Joan Barreda showed his and his bikeÂ´s true potential at todayÂ´s second stage of the Dakar 2012. The Spaniard powered his Husqvarna 449 RR by Speedbrain to third place at whatÂ´s been the first real test in this yearÂ´s race.
Unfortunately the young Spaniard received a time penalty of five minutes because he lost his time card during strong winds on Sunday. Barreda bounced back and has improved to fifth place overall. Teammate Paulo Goncalves meanwhile suffered from a similar misfortune. The Portuguese, who placed 13th today, also picked up a penalty due to speeding. The remaining three riders, ZÃ© HÃ©lio, Ike Klaumann and Jose Pellicer, are doing fine a little further down the ranks.
Joan Barreda: “The first 170 km were very fast, often full throttle. Then came a river bed with huge stones. I didnÂ´t start any takeovers, as it was pretty risky to crash. I gained ground to the riders in front of me, managed to pass them in the sand and make up time. The final kilometres were physical and reminded me of a sandy Motocross track. Navigation was tricky also. IÂ´m happy to start tomorrowÂ´s stage in third.”
Paulo Goncalves: “I was a little too cautious yesterday, which resulted in a not-so-great starting position today. Whenever I closed in on riders, it was not risk-free to pass due to the course. But IÂ´m delighted having finished the first two days without a crash and plan to attack these coming days. I received a penalty yesterday bacause of speeding, now I have to fight and play catch-up. Nothing is lost, the real difficult stages are waiting.”
Tomorrow brings the field towards the Andes and up to 3,000 metres altitude. ItÂ´s a challenging stage to San Juan, with river crossings and a 270 kilometres long special test.
1. Marc Coma (SPA) KTM, 3:07:21 hrs
2. Cyril Despres (FRA) KTM, 1:18 min behind
3. Joan Barreda (SPA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 2:33
4. Francisco Lopez (CHI) Aprilia, 2:44
13. Paulo Goncalves (POR) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 12:30
21. ZÃ© HÃ©lio (BRA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 17:49
34. Ike Klaumann (BRA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 27:22
37. Jose Manuel Pellicer (SPA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 31:16
1. Coma 3:40:12 hrs
2. Lopez 2:30 min behind
3. Despres 2:52
5. Joan Barreda (SPA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 8:16
21. Goncalves (POR) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 20:13
23. ZÃ© HÃ©lio (BRA) (SPA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 21:07
33. Ike Klaumann (BRA) Husqvarna Ralllye Team by Speedbrain, 32:04
35. Jose Manuel Pellicer (SPA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 36:31